W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-wg@w3.org > February 2011

Re: [GRAPHS] g-box, g-snap, and g-text

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:30:32 +0100
Cc: public-rdf-wg <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Message-Id: <42EA2305-69ED-4BED-A93C-D6071DCB1661@w3.org>
To: Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>
Pierre-Antoine,

I try to understand what you say and the way I interpret it is that, in fact, there is no difference on the abstract level between a g-box and a g-text. They are the same, they _represent_ (do not contain, as you say below) a g-snap.

Another way of putting it is that a g-text is a special form of a g-box, which has the peculiarity of representing a g-snap in a text file. Looking at it this way, then blank nodes are local to a particular g-box, whether it is a g-text or not, and a SPARQL query returns a new g-box/g-text which therefore does have its own local blank nodes.

Is this what you mean? Of do I go beyond what you meant?

Ivan


On Feb 25, 2011, at 16:21 , Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:

> Some more thoughts on Sandro's g-* terminology, and trying to cut the gordian blank node (sorry, I couln't resist to make that pun!...).
> 
> For the moment, as I read it, the idea seems to be that a g-box contains a g-snap, which can be expressed by a g-text, grapĥically:
> 
>  g-box  -->  g-snap  -->  g-text
> 
> However, the g-snap is an abstract thing, which has no counterpart in the physical or digital world, while g-boxes and g-texts do. Another way to look at it is that the value (or state) of g-box is a g-text -- it may not be in a serialization format, but it *is* essentially a sequence of bytes representing a g-snap. So the links would rather look like
> 
>  g-box  -->  g-text  -->  g-snap
> 
> The impact is that parsing or serializing become mere *translations* from one g-text to another g-text representing an equivalent g-snap. Note that I write "equivalent", not "the same", because all those processing will *not be required* to preserve blank nodes identity.
> 
> They *may* preserve it in some cases, but as they are not required to, it would be a mistake to rely on them doing so. It implies that, in general, blank nodes should be assumed to be scoped to a given g-text.
> 
> This is a change from what has been written until now, where blank nodes are scoped to g-boxes. But it better reflects my frustrating experience with querying a g-box containing blank nodes, related below.
> 
> 
> Consider a g-box, which is not changing, to which you ask several queries in a row. For example:
> 
>  # QUERY1: retrieve all persons with a mailbox
>  SELECT ?p, ?b WHERE { ?s a foaf:Person ; foaf:mbox ?b . }
> 
> Now for some of the persons that I retrieved, I would like to get more information, by asking
> 
>  # QUERY2: retrieve additional information for a person
>  SELECT * WHERE { % foaf:name ?n }
>  # where '%' above will be replace by one of the nodes retrieved
>  # in QUERY1
> 
> For all URI nodes I retrieved, the generic query above works fine. But for all the blank nodes, it is useless. Worse, it will return all the foaf:names of *any* the resources in the store (because a blank node matches anything).
> 
> This is frustrating when you consider blank nodes to be scoped to the store, because you may assume that, as the store has not changed, the blank nodes are still valid for subsequent queries.
> 
> There are two ways to explain this apparent paradox:
> 
> 1/ (considering blank nodes are scoped to g-boxes)
> When retrieving the SPARQL results, you are parsing them and storing them locally in your own g-box, hence changing the blank nodes into local ones. That is why you can no longer use them when querying the distant store.
> 
> 2/ (considering blank nodes are scoped to g-texts)
> The blank nodes conveyed in the SPARQL results are local to the serialization of the result, hence distinct from the internal representation of the store.
> 
> 
> Both explanations work, so both points of view (g-box scope vs. g-text scope) stand to the paradox. However, I think the 2nd one is more natural.
> 
>  pa
> 


----
Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
PGP Key: http://www.ivan-herman.net/pgpkey.html
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf







Received on Friday, 25 February 2011 16:29:19 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 16:25:38 GMT