Re: Graphs and Being and Time

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Guus Schreiber <guus.schreiber@vu.nl>wrote:

> Pat,
>
> I 'm trying to translate this into a simple story for outsiders:
>
>  RDF abstract graph: triples
>  RDF graph: quads
>
> with a rationale along the following lines: the revised RDF spec does not
> *replace* triples with quads; it just *adds* the quad notion, to handle the
> established practice of how abstract graphs materialize on the Web.
>
> I hope this makes some sense...
>
> Guus

I would avoid making mention of quads in the spec -- this strikes me as more
of an implementation detail.  But, if the notion of quads helps outsiders
make sense of the concept then I have no issues with its inclusion in the
primer.

For that matter, I agree with others who have said that we should avoid use
of the term "document" in describing named graphs.  Setting aside whatever
formal definition it may have, it carries implications that don't
necessarily align with what I think we're trying to express.  In my mind,
"document" carries with it the implication of serialized bytes on a stream.
Also, when we talk about adding support in Turtle for named graphs, that
opens the door for a Turtle "document" to contain multiple RDF "documents"
which just sounds way too confusing.

I agree with the general gist of this discussion -- an RDF graph is an
abstract mathematical concept that captures some facts about the world.
When we "name" a graph, we are (a) asserting the existence of a graph and
(b) identifying the graph so that we can make further assertions about it.
When we associate some materialized RDF content with that named graph in a
graph store, or answer queries about that graph in a query service, we are
making assertions as to the actual content of the graph.  This being the
open world, we can never fully know all the actual contents of the graph,
only what somebody has claimed to be true about that graph.  Based on these
claims, an application can infer for itself what it believes to be true
about the content of the graph, just as it can infer for itself the
properties of a resource based on the RDF statements asserted about that
resource.

So, while I agree with the general thrust of this conversation, I'm more
comfortable in treating a graph as just another web resource, and describing
named graphs/quads/queries in terms of assertions about that resource (as
opposed to introducing the notion of a "graph token").  That leaves open the
mechanism by which content is asserted for a graph -- the contents could be
explicitly enumerated in a graph store or in an RDF document (which would
correspond to what my understanding of a "graph literal" is).  Or they could
be computed based on some other application data (think RDB-to-RDF mapping),
physical properties of the world (a graph describing geographic locations),
or abstract mathematical concepts (a graph describing the natural numbers).

-Alex