Re: Naming the graph in the container. (Was: Re: [GRAPH] graph deadlock?)

On 23/12/11 15:56, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>>> In my mental model of the world, we take a URL like:
>>> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns
>>>
>>> when you do a get, and ask for content type application/rdf+xml
>>>
>>> you get an RDF/XML document that encodes a graph.
>>>
>>> To me, the RDF/XML document is the representation, and the graph
>>> is the resource.
>>
>> This isn't to be picky as such but to reflect the matter of being
>> precise and consistent. At RDF F2F2, we resolved:
>>
>> [[ In our documents, we'll use the terms "RDF Graph" for g-snap,
>> "Graph Container" for g-box, and "Graph Serialization" for g-text
>> ]]
>>
>> The resource is the "Graph Container" that can be poked with GET to
>> return the current state which is an RDF graph.
>>
>> The representation is the "Graph Serialization" that encodes that
>> RDF graph.
>
> Agreed about being precise with terminology. But I would like to push
> back on the implicit assumption here that the resource must be a
> graph container. Why can a URI not be a name for an RDF graph
> directly, not via HTTP GET of course, but simply a name *for the
> graph itself*? So an RDF graph can indeed be a resource, seems to me,
> at least if we acknowledge the possibility of attaching a name to one
> of them.

A resource [AWWW] can change state in general.  Not all resources do so
but in the example Jeremy gave of
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns>, this happens to be a
changeable resource by basic web, and
an unchanging resource ("should be") by extra convention.  If it's
today's weather report, it changes.

Someone from W3C team can change the contents of
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns.  Signing is a good example
here.  What do you sign?  The result of the GET.

Our terminology resolution is for a "graph container" that yields a RDF
Graph when poked by GET.

For an immutable "graph container", there is a 1-1 correspondence and
the naming scheme could strip the indirection out.

> This was the idea of the original 'named graph' proposal, and there
> were reasons for this choice. In particular, we paid considerable
> attention to the idea of signing and authenticating secure RDF data.
> If I am putting my signature to some RDF content, I want it to be
> attached to the actual graph, not to a labile graph container that
> others can later modify.

This is what I was trying to point out.

"the graph is the resource" is not right when applied to a resource
named by a http: URL without knowing something more and then you might
want to record that fact by talking about the signed graph value.

 >>> I(<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns>) is that graph

We agreed "graph" ("RDF graph") is the mathematical value.
The contents of http://foo can be changed.

That's all I was saying.