Re: dataset semantics

Le 20/12/2011 04:52, Pat Hayes a écrit :

> On Dec 19, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>
>> On 19 Dec 2011, at 10:48, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>> I would like to see some evidence, from actual use cases, of how it can be that different RDF graphs hold in different contexts,
>>
>> See here for some (toy) examples:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2011Oct/0212.html
>
> For comments on that, see my reply
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2011Oct/0228.html
>
>> A list of use cases provided by WG members is on the wiki:
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-Graphs-UC
>
> After a quick survey, I dont see anything in this list which suggests that a context can or should be thought of as changing the meaning of an IRI.

The meaning of an IRI is constrained by the triples in the graph in
which it occurs. Go online, and look at what you find:

http://www.emse.fr/~zimmermann/data4pat1.rdf

This URL leads to a document where the IRI
<http://www.ihmc.us/groups/phayes/> denotes the number 1.

Now, go to:

http://www.emse.fr/~zimmermann/data4pat1.rdf

In this document, the same IRI denotes number 2.

Eventually, a web crawler will index these two documents and without
context, it won't do anything useful.

Then go get:

http://www.emse.fr/~zimmermann/data4pat.rdf

Now, this document says that all IRIs denote the same thing. As,
according to you, this thing is independent of the context, we can stop
making reasoners :)

AZ

>> Many of the use cases ask for context information about RDF graphs in order to decide wether to accept a graph as true.
>
> Yes, quite. But not to change the meaning of the graph or of the IRIs in the graph.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Pat

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol
École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne
158 cours Fauriel
42023 Saint-Étienne Cedex 2
France
Tél:+33(0)4 77 42 83 36