Re: [GRAPH] graph deadlock?

On Dec 20, 2011, at 02:40 , Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> On 12/17/2011 7:37 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
>>
>> (1) RDF Datasets. It consists of labelled graphs: (G, l), where l is an URI. (Some raised the possibility to use literals for 'l', but I think there is a consensus to use URI-s). There is no semantic relationship between 'G' and 'l', so something like (with an ad-hoc syntax here):
>>
>>    ( {a:b c:d e:f}, mailto:ivan@w3.org }
>>
>> is a perfectly o.k. labelled graph in an RDF Dataset
>>
>> It seems that most (all?) quad stores fall into this category as well as the datasets in SPARQL
>>
>> (2) Named Graphs. It is a special RDF dataset, where the label 'l' is a (HTTP?) URI with an additional behaviour: if that URI is poked (GET-d) then it results in the serialization of a Graph whose parsing yields an equivalent graph to 'G'. It is the right/good framework for, say, Linked Data, etc.
>>

> It seems to me that we can make a lot of progress by exploring the common ground between these as test cases:
> e.g. do we allow the same URI twice.
>
> I would have thought that most people would be unhappy with:
>
> A)
>
> { ( {a:b c:d e:f}, mailto:ivan@w3.org ), ( {}, mailto:ivan@w3.org ) }

But what about

{ ( {a:b c:d e:f}, mailto:ivan@w3.org ),
  ( {}, mailto:jeremy@topquandrant.com ) }

I see two issues here: (1) the usage of the mailto URI (2) the unicity of the label.

I am not sure people would reject the second example, while I think the first one should...

Ivan

> and also with
>

> B)
>
> { ( {a:b c:d e:f}, http://example.org/consensus ), ( {}, http://example.org/consensus
> ) }
>
> If that is the case, then we have moved forward (even if only by a little)
> And so I would like to propose these two test cases for consideration at the telecon.
>
> Proposal: the RDF 1.1 Recommendation will not recommend the use of either (A) or (B)
>

> Once we have agreed on one test case, then we can try for a second - rather than the somewhat boring threads of conversation: running over the same old ground, and how we found the same old fears ...
>
> Jeremy

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153