Re: [ALL] agenda telecon 14 Dec

Le 14/12/2011 22:09, Pat Hayes a écrit :

> On Dec 14, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>
>> The idea of having an agreed formal semantics is to be sure that no
>> matter where and when the graph is, what you can conclude from it
>> is the same. With a semantics based on URI resolution, it becomes
>> dependent on who, where and when a user agent is when trying to
>> make conclusions. You go offline and the graph changes its meaning.
>> You're behind a proxy or haven't enough rights and you change the
>> meaning...
>>
>> We can propose this as a best practice (the graph URI /SHOULD/  be
>> used to denote the RESTful etc...) but hardly a rule in the formal
>> semantics.
>
> No, really, we can make a formal semantics which takes into account
> URI resolution. Of course it will refer to whatever is resolved, so
> will be indeterminate in that sense, but it can still be enough to
> usefully (and nontrivially) constrain the possible meanings. We have
> done this for owl:imports, for example. One can rephrase
> http-range-14 in formal semantic terms, with a great increase in
> clarity, I might add.

The mechanism of owl:imports is not part of the model theory of OWL.
With the formal semantics of OWL, a given RDF graph has a unique set of
possible entailments, no matter what's the state of the network.
owl:imports serves to define what *is* the RDF graph on which to define
this unique set of entailments. It acts prior to the definition of
interpretation, so to say. In terms of what owl:imports /denotes/, there
are no constraints other than the domain and range are both
owl:Ontology. I could very well interpret owl:imports as "this ontology
is funnier than that ontology", and it would be perfectly consistent
with the semantics.

Similarly, we could very well define a mechanism which says that the RDF
graph associated with a URI is defined as the set of triples that you
can get from a HTTP lookup. Then the set of triples is known and fixed
and you use the normal RDF semantics on this, which gives the same
entailment for everybody, everywhere, always, and which can interpret
the URI you looked up as just anything.

In fact, this would already be a good step forward, as in RDF 2004,
nothing says what delimits a graph. With RDF 2004, it is not clear that
all triples in a single file necessarily belong to the same graph. Nor
is it clear that triples in different files or at different places
belong to different graphs. In RDF 2004, we can very well believe that
there is just one giant graph composed of all triples ever published online.

With a semantics like Tim proposes (although I would not like it to be
included in the model-theoretic semantics), we would make clear what's
in a graph in function of what you get in a lookup, just like OWL makes
clear what's in an ontology thanks to expliciting the
(non-model-theoretic) semantics of owl:imports.

Anyway, back to the discussion, David said that Tim says "the URI
denotes", and I interpret this word as "what the model-theoretic
interpretation assigns to the URI".

AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol
École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne
158 cours Fauriel
42023 Saint-Étienne Cedex 2
France
Tél:+33(0)4 77 42 83 36