Re: [ALL] agenda telecon 14 Dec

From: Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:59:24 +0100
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org

Le 13/12/2011 23:20, Dan Brickley a écrit :
[skip]

> "An RDF Dataset is a collection of RDF graphs and comprises:
> * Exactly one default graph, being an RDF graph. The default graph
> does not have a name.
> * Zero or more named graphs. Each named graph is a pair consisting of
> an IRI (the graph name), and an RDF graph. Graph names are unique
> within an RDF dataset."
>
> Given RDF's open world baggage, it doesn't feel right starkly saying
> that something "does not have a name". This is territory we've bounced
> around with bnodes and literals before. Something might well have a
> name, and that name might not be mentioned... (just as with bnodes in
> plain RDF)

Open world doesn't have a role to play here as we merely define a
syntactic structure.

> Maybe, "Exactly one default graph, being an RDF graph. The Dataset
> does not provide any name for this graph."

This is obviously implicit. We are defining "Dataset" so when we say "it
does not have a name" we mean "it does not have a name in the dataset".
Maybe we can avoid this and just say:

"""
An /RDF dataset/ comprises exactly:
  - a distinguished RDF graph called the "default graph";
  - zero or more pairs consisting of an IRI (that we call the "graph
name" in the dataset) and an RDF graph. Graph names are unique with an
RDF dataset.
"""

--
Antoine Zimmermann