Re: graphs and documents Re: [ALL] agenda telecon 14 Dec

On 14 Dec 2011, at 16:08, David Wood wrote:
> Tim lost me when he said that a document returned from a URI resolution does not equal a RESTful Representation.

“document” is a term that's even more overloaded than “graph”.

In Tim's usage, the homepage of the New York Times is a document. Note that the words in the document are different every day – it's a highly mutable and ever-changing document.

In Tim's usage, the concrete HTML string that's returned when you resolve http://www.nytimes.com/ is *not* a document. He uses the REST term for that: “representation”. This is where he lost you, Dave. In Tim's usage, saying that you “return a document from a URI resolution” makes no sense. That would be like sending a telephone through a wire.

Tim's notion of “document” seems to be mostly compatible with our notion of “g-box” or graph container, except that he doesn't think of it as containing a graph – he thinks of it as yielding a representation when prodded, and the representation can then be parsed to yield a graph. He calls this “prod-and-parse” relationship “log:semantics”. In that view, obviously only things that are resolvable can have a log:semantics, while in our g-box view, even non-resolvable g-boxes can contain graphs.

> Also, we have continued confusion in this thread about what a "graph" is - see my earlier objection to the continuing use of the term RDF Graph for a g-snap.

In this particular thread I saw confusion about the words “document” and “denote”, and confusion about the compounds “graph resource” and “graph contents”. I did not see any confusion about the word “graph”.

Best,
Richard