Re: Container Deprecation

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:06:22 +0200
To: Jesse Weaver <weavej3@rpi.edu>
Cc: ivan@w3.org, public-rdf-wg@w3.org
On 29 August 2011 21:42, Jesse Weaver <weavej3@rpi.edu> wrote:
> Hi Ivan.
>
> Perhaps my language seemed to reflect some conflation between containers
> and collections, so I wasn't very clear.  I am thinking at a higher level
> of just something that contains something.  I don't care if it's an RDF
> container or RDF collection.  All I want to do is represent a group of
> things (loosely defined, I have avoided the word "set" here) in RDF.  It
> would be nice to be able to say in a single statement:

> You cannot do this with RDF collections.  You can do it with RDF
> containers using rdfs:member.  It seems that we should have some way of
> doing this, regardless of whether RDF containers are deprecated.

If you are not concerned with order, consider a couple more mechanisms:

1. use rdf:type, and make a class for each group of contained entities.

2. Find some non-W3C relationship that is close enough to your
meaning; e.g. Dublin Core terms has 'isPartOf',
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-isPartOf defined as
"A related resource in which the described resource is physically or
logically included."

Dan