Re: [Turtle] N-Triples Prime First Editors Draft

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:17:41 +0100
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
On 29 Aug 2011, at 13:26, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> The content type suggested is:
>
>  text/ntriples+turtle
>
> but text defaults to ASCII.

It defaults to ISO-8859-1 to be precise.

So it would need the same handling as Turtle and N3, which require “;charset=utf-8” appended to the media type.

There is ongoing work in IETF to change the default for text/*:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-mime-default-charset-01

But I don't know anything about the status of that work, or how likely it is to become official, or at what timeframe.

> N-triples is less readable than Turtle and more directed to machine processing.
>
>  application/n-triples+turtle
>
> seems more appropriate and allows the default charset to be UTF-8.

RFC 2046 has this to say about the text/* types:

[[
In the absence of appropriate interpretation software, it is reasonable to show subtypes of "text" to the user, while it is not reasonable to do so with most nontextual data.
]]

While it says this about application/*:

[[
This is information which must be processed by an application before it is viewable or usable by a user.
]]

Also, application/* subtypes unknown to an implementation MUST be treated as binary data.

In practical terms, opening text/* in a browser causes it to be displayed, while opening application/* causes it to be downloaded. (At least in my browser of choice; I don't know how others behave.)

There's mixed precedent. JSON uses application/*, HTML uses text/*, CSV uses text/*.