Re: [Turtle] N-Triples Prime First Editors Draft

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:17:41 +0100
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
On 29 Aug 2011, at 13:26, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> The content type suggested is:
>  text/ntriples+turtle
> but text defaults to ASCII.

It defaults to ISO-8859-1 to be precise.

So it would need the same handling as Turtle and N3, which require “;charset=utf-8” appended to the media type.

There is ongoing work in IETF to change the default for text/*:

But I don't know anything about the status of that work, or how likely it is to become official, or at what timeframe.

> N-triples is less readable than Turtle and more directed to machine processing.
>  application/n-triples+turtle
> seems more appropriate and allows the default charset to be UTF-8.

RFC 2046 has this to say about the text/* types:

In the absence of appropriate interpretation software, it is reasonable to show subtypes of "text" to the user, while it is not reasonable to do so with most nontextual data.

While it says this about application/*:

This is information which must be processed by an application before it is viewable or usable by a user.

Also, application/* subtypes unknown to an implementation MUST be treated as binary data.

In practical terms, opening text/* in a browser causes it to be displayed, while opening application/* causes it to be downloaded. (At least in my browser of choice; I don't know how others behave.)

There's mixed precedent. JSON uses application/*, HTML uses text/*, CSV uses text/*.