Re: Oracle's stand regarding N-TRIPLES

From: Gavin Carothers <gavin@topquadrant.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:29 -0700
To: Zhe Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>, public-rdf-wg@w3.org
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Zhe Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Pat,
>>
>> Actually, no. It is just plain better for all but a tiny fraction of human
>> readers, anywhere on the planet. This tiny fraction includes some software
>> engineers. I personally will simply ignore any string that contains \u
>> escapes, and immediately cease using any software that shows them to me. And
>> I suspect that more people share my instincts than share yours.
>>

> I don't think N-TRIPLES is an end user oriented format. It's originally
> designed for Test cases as pointed out by Jeremy. It
> happens to be used (quite well actually) by large-scale machine to machine
> communication as pointed out by Richard. I would
> dare say that the chance to see \u from a User Interface of a semantic web
> application is very low.

The chances of coming across UTF-8 N-Triples is rather high.

http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-1/nn.nt

In fact all of the Library of Congress N-Triple documents are served
in a perfectly reasonable

If a vendor expects to work with the LOC Subject Headings or any other
ontology published by the LOC and wants to use N-Triples they will
need to support UTF-8.

Cheers,
Gavin