Re: Skolemization and RDF Semantics

Hi Pat,

On 17 Apr 2011, at 15:15, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> First of all, it is *sometimes* but not *always* bad to use blank nodes. The documents I linked to gave specific advice, informed by implementation experience, for when to use, and when to avoid, blank nodes.
>
> True, but it does say that the fewer bnodes the better, as a general rule about all data.

Well, you gotta simplify when talking to the man on the street. A more accurate phrasing: Substituting a blank node with a URI never makes data less useful. (Assuming the blank node is actually used as a local name and not an existential variable, which is the case for all data published on the Web that I've ever seen, with the exception of blank nodes in rdf:Lists.)

Doing this substitution might be costly for the publisher of the data, especially if they'd like their URIs to be stable and persistent, but the claim was about usefulness. The increase in usefulness for consumers of the data may or may not make it cost-effective.

Regarding your questions below:

The typical scenario on the Web is that party A publishes some data as RDF on the Web. Now party B wants to use that data. For example, B might have some local data and they want to enrich this with the data from A, perhaps by loading graphs from A and from B into a single store. This requires that both *graphs* actually “join up” when loaded into the store, in all the places where common entities are described. This joining up of graphs is necessary because SPARQL and RDF APIs work on the graph level, not on the logic level. Things join up trivially if B uses URIs from A's data -- the graphs connect when merged. Inference (sameAs, IFP etc) can of course help here. But where that's not an option, if A uses blank nodes to make statements about entities of interest to B, then there is simply no way of making any of this work. A has made its data less useful to B.

The early FOAF practice of using blank nodes for people is an interesting case study here. The idea was to use IFP inference plus rdfs:seeAlso links to form a web and join the blank nodes, but this didn't work very because this multi-step join process including IFP inference in practice is much more brittle than directly using someone else's resolvable URI.

And try making an owl:sameAs link from your URI to someone else's blank node ...

This all is complicated further in cases where A's data is dynamic, and B wants to keep their local store updated as A's data changes.

It's complicated further in cases where A wants to allow other parties to make updates to its data. The update request needs to be serialized as a text and sent over the wire at some point. It's reasonable to ask for a way of characterizing updates that is very close to the RDF data model. In ground RDF graphs, this is easy -- set operations between graphs. In the presence of blank nodes, this gets much more difficult. SPARQL Update helps a bit here, because you can SELECT the blank node to be UPDATEd, but this requires a lot of knowledge of the constraints of the data, otherwise one can accidentally write an underconstrained SELECT that matches too many resources, and update the wrong data. It is *very* hard to build a generic graph browser and editor based on SPARQL + SPARQL UPDATE that works correctly with blank node rich data, and it requires expensive queries to pinpoint one's position in the graph.

Part of the problem is that real RDF systems often are built by plugging together different components -- stores, parsers, APIs, serializers, servers -- and any of them might rename blank nodes that pass through it at any time, since the specs say that this is ok. To add a triple to a blank node, I may have to hold on to its blank node identifier for some time before I can complete the operation. But in a system of multiple parts, it's really hard to be sure about the behaviour of these identifiers, and to understand the guarantees that different systems have with regard to their stability. Will a concurrent update change the identifier of the node I am holding? Will a version upgrade change all the blank node identifiers?

These problems all wouldn't exist if A hadn't decided to use a blank node ...

(And yeah I know this is all just because uneducated engineers misunderstand how to correctly use blank nodes ... But unfortunately it *is* their problems that RDF has to solve to be relevant.)

This is why A *really* should think twice for every blank node they put into their data. And this is why I *really* want to see some guidance on this topic in the place where people are likely to read about blank nodes.

Best,
Richard