Re: 18. consequences.

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:35:21 +0100
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
CC: RDF-WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>

On 20/04/11 10:56, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> The consequence of the decision are, as I see it:
> b) It is a change that breaks compatibility between SPARQL 1.0 and
> SPARQL 1.1, in a *minor* and *easily characterized and motivated*
> way.

I don't think it's minor.  Evidence to show it is would be good.

One way would be to add a WG note (highlighted box) to the Turtle spec
as it is published as WD and in LC to make sure the change is noticed.

For people with deployed queries, a software upgrade will now either
silently change the meaning of a query (only occurs for BGP trailing
18.) or creates a syntax error in otherwise working systems (the case of
"18. .").  That's a big deal for them and their software suppliers.

It's because of the success that these things become significant.

Establishing a message somehow that further changes to existing systems
would be good.

> Overall that's a change for the better, I think.
>
> Best, Richard

	Andy