Re: [ALL] Agenda 20 April Telecon

On 19/04/11 10:19, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2011-04-18, at 21:37, David Wood wrote:
>
> > Please see:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.04.20
>
> I think it's worth appending Sandro's description of the .well-known
> prefix to the skolemisation proposal.
>
> I left it outto save space, and because it was fresh in most people's minds anyway.

You had to be there!

> - Steve

Trying to be clear about the details for myself, I gathered together the
emails and minutes:

Final proposal from the minutes 14/April:

----------------

PROPOSED: If systems are going to reveal Skolemized bnodes, without
doing damage to the graph, they MUST use a fresh URI (per bnode) and
SHOULD follow the form
   http[s]://[domain]/.well-known/genid/[locally-uniq-id][#]
or
   tag:[domain],[year]/.well-known/genid/[locally-unique-id]
(or, someday, genid:...). Such IRIs are considered more disposable.

"genid" to be reg'd with IETF.

----------------

Observations:

1/ Why is
   http://host.com/.well-known/genid#1816
excluded?

2/ The authority is not optional in http URIs (RFC 2616 sec 3.2.2).

A skolemized bNode might look like:

http://host.com/.well-known/genid/cb48cfae-6a5d-11e0-ba3a-00270e03441

   (that's using a version 1 UUID)

tag: can be used when machines don't know their own external name (e.g.
on a 10.* network).

Subsequent email (key parts):

On 16/04/11 23:27, Pat Hayes wrote:
 > It is not enough that *they* can so recognize it. It needs to be
 > globally recognizable by any system that has access to the
 > specifications. We need to specify how this can be done.

I don't worry about dereferencability so prefer "genid:" -- currently
provide support for <_:...> to put bNodes in a different space to URIs
while reusing/abusing the syntax.

	Andy

FYI:

Registry for well-known: