Re: ISSUE-30: How does SPARQL's notion of RDF dataset relate our notion of multiple graphs?

On Apr 18, 2011, at 8:16 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2011, at 15:00 , Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>
> <snip/>

>>> I understand, but isn't this problem a reflection of the fact that we
>>> try to model here the common term of tagging, ie, attaching a string
>>> to a resource as some sort of a characterization of the latter? In
>>> fact, as we said at the f2f, SPARQL is blissfully silent on how that
>>> URI is used. If we want to avoid misunderstandings through the usage
>>> of the word tagging, we can say something like
>>>
>>> <g> rdf:loose_association_of_resources <h> .
>>
>> nah...
>>
>> <i> owl:sameAs <g> .
>>
>> entails
>>
>> <i> rdf:loose_assoctiation_of_resources <h> .
>>
>> Is this what you want to say??
>
> Hm. I do not know...
>
> Given that SPARQL is loose in the way they use URI-s from graphs in datasets, I would not be shocked by this. The question is what would the SPARQL 1.1 entailment regime say about this.
>
> But, again: I wonder whether we have to say anything in formal terms at all about SPARQL's behaviour, except to make it clear that (<g>,G) is _not_ a shorthand for <g> identifying G.

But, Ivan, this thread began when *you* suggested using RDF to assert/declare something about SPARQL behavior. Which is exactly what is ruled out by this looseness. All Pierre-Antoine and I are doing is trying to take your idea and make it work in RDF. Are you now saying it was a bad idea all along, or are you saying that we don't need to do it using RDF, or what?

Pat