Re: Comments on this afternoon session on Turtle (ISSUE-12)

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:36:27 +0100
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org

On 16/04/11 16:26, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> By the way, in range declarations we might even get some use out of
> the otherwise horrendous rdf:PlainLiteral:
>
> :title rdfs:range rdf:PlainLiteral .
>
> This could indicate that the values are plain literals with or
> without language tag.

Could someone please clarify this for me?

In rdfs:range it says:

"""
rdfs:range is an instance of rdf:Property that is used to state that the
values of a property are instances of one or more classes.
"""

and "value" seems, from the document context, to be referring to the
object, not the value of a literal.

"""
RDF properties may be thought of as attributes of resources and in this
sense correspond to traditional attribute-value pairs.
"""

rdf:PlainLiteral has instances like "foo@"^^rdf:PlainLiteral (aside for
the fact it should never appear as a ^^ datatype in RDF).

To state

:title rdfs:range rdf:PlainLiteral .

isn't it also assuming mapping to rdf:PlainLiteral to plain literal in
lexical form?  Is that allowed by rdfs:range?

	Andy