remembering datatypes - was Re: rdf:PlainLiteral (ISSUE-12)

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:16:38 +0100
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
CC: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr, public-rdf-wg <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2011-04-17, at 17:55, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> Of course, this is OWL not SPARQL.   I don't see any good way to deal
>> with this in SPARQL.    I don't really understand how datatype() and
>> such are supposed to work in SPARQL -- are stores really supposed to
>> remember which values came in as xs:int vs xs:integer?
>
> Yes.

Out of interest, what practical difference does it make? I'm racking my
brains but struggling to think of one, other than perhaps a graph
signing / encryption case for ground graphs?

Best,

Nathan