Re: Comments on this afternoon session on Turtle (ISSUE-12)

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:49:05 +0100
Cc: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr, public-rdf-wg <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
On 17 Apr 2011, at 08:45, Ivan Herman wrote:
> My understanding is that rdf:plainLiteral is a Datatype (ie, it can be used as part of datatype reasoning in RDF, OWL, or RIF) which is not the case of plain literals,

Yes.

> and its value space[2] are pairs of the form <string,language-tag>

Not quite. According to [2], the value space are all <string,lang-tag> pairs *and* all strings.

> Ie, datatype("chat"@en) would return rdf:PlainLiteral.

This would be consistent with the definition of the datatype. But since the value space of rdf:PlainLiteral also contains all simple strings, the same could be said for returning

   datatype("chat") == rdf:PlainLiteral