Re: Skolemization and RDF Semantics

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:58:30 +0100
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, David Wood <dpw@talis.com>, "public-rdf-wg@w3.org" <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
On 16 Apr 2011, at 15:46, Steve Harris wrote:
> My suspicion is that the only way forward would be some text along the lines of: [with apologies for any abuse of terminology]
>
> Systems wishing to skolemise bNodes, and expose those skolem constants to external systems (e.g. in query results) SHOULD mint fresh a "fresh" (globally unique) URI for each bNode.
>
> All systems performing skolemisation SHOULD do so in a way that they can recognise the constants once skolemised, and map back to the source bNodes where possible.
>
> Systems which want their skolem constants to be identifiable by other systems SHOULD use the .well-known URI prefix.

A cautious +1 to the above from me.

I think that the documents should have a section that has some recommendations about when to use and when to avoid blank nodes, along the lines of [1] and [2]. Some text on skolemization could go into that section.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2011Mar/0068.html
[2] http://richard.cyganiak.de/blog/2011/03/blank-nodes-considered-harmful/