Re: Comments on this afternoon session on Turtle

Le 14/04/2011 14:13, Richard Cyganiak a écrit :
> Antoine,
>
> You say that plain literals are for “utterance in an unspecified language”.

No, I don't say they are, I say that I always thought of them as such.
You may not share this point of view.

> You also say that xsd:string is for “things like serial numbers, identifiers, passwords”.
>
> That distinction, I believe, springs only from your imagination. Can you back this up with links and quotations?

The distinction only exists if one ignores XSD entailment, which at
least some SPARQL engines do.  Otherwise, the semantics makes no
distinction between a literal of type xs:string and a plain literal with
no lang tag (cf Peter's email) so I have no link to back me up.

I don't want xs:string to be marked as archaic because if it is, then it
means that I am not welcome to write something like:

:passportNumber  rdfs:range  xs:string .

Still, I am in favour of simplifying things, so instead of doing
nothing, I would rather have plain literals without language tag removed
altogether and replaced by typed literals of type xs:string.

Regards,
--
Antoine Zimmermann
Researcher at:
Laboratoire d'InfoRmatique en Image et Systèmes d'information
Database Group
7 Avenue Jean Capelle
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
France
Tel: +33(0)4 72 43 61 74 - Fax: +33(0)4 72 43 87 13
Lecturer at:
Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon
20 Avenue Albert Einstein
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
France
antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr