Re: [JSON] A starting point...

Manu Sporny wrote:
>> "JSON as RDF" assumes there will be uptake (a plausible belief, but a
>> belief) and is speculative.
>
> Yes, that's correct.

I'd suggest it's a bit less than speculative, ask the average web
developer if they'd like a way to:

a) have shared property names between different domains and silos
and
b) be able to lookup the id's of things on the web to get more
information about them (subject to auth*)

then I'd suggest the would yes in many cases, and if any believes the
answer is no, then I'd take that to be inferring that "Linked Data"
isn't much use to anybody.

RDF has many properties, I don't need to say this, but, the above and
and b are two of them, the other big on is that you can break down the
rows and columns in a database to triples, or break down object
instances to triples (see the RDF Bus [1]), but just because you /can/
break it down in to triples, doesn't mean you /have to/ break it down in
to triples all the time, if a huge segment of the web development market
is centered around using object based languages, JSON as a data
transport, and would like to reap some of the benefits of RDF and Linked
Data - with the potential to "move up in the world" and do inference,
include DataRestrictions on properties, and a whole load of other things
- then who are we to say "no, thou must useth full RDF or nothing!",
that approach will get us know where fast.

(
1: no, I'm not saying that I *know* what people need, that I can predict
the future, and that if we standardized this, then RDF adoption would
skyrocket [2] - but I am saying suggesting that many more people may be
able to reap some of the benefits we have in the RDF / Linked Data
world, that we could bring them to a wider audience, and that "full RDF"
adoption may creep up over time as a result.

2: is this a job for this WG? well I wouldn't mind, but if not it's
probably something a good few of us should focus on with a *G of some
kind, soon - and it would be a bit of a shame if we couldn't produce it
as part of this WG, heck most of the recipe and writing is there
already, we'd just need to subset and standardize a serialization
).

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/Talks/1211-whit-tbl/#(43) - (also the best
set of slides I've seen yet, study hard)
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2011Mar/0179.html
- ('tis why I'm adding that disclaimer, but not dragging up resolved things)

Best,

Nathan