Re: [Graphs] Proposal for Named Graph Semantics

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>> this
>>> can be described easily enough in RDF by defining a new class rdfs:Graph
>>> and
>>> mapping Graph(I) to the triple I rdf:type rdfs:Graph.
>>>

>> Perhaps you didn't intend to take a position on this, but does
>> "resource identified by I" imply http dererencing? I can think of
>> three interpretations of Graph:
>>
>>  0a. Graph(I:IRI):Boolean = ∃ G:RDFGraph ∣ RDFParse(HTTPGet(I)) == G
>>  0b. Graph(I:IRI):Boolean = ∃ G:RDFGraph ∣ m(I) == G, m a local map
>>  0c. Graph(I:IRI):Boolean = ∃ G:RDFGraph ∣ M(I) == G, M an RDF-wide map
>>
>> Of course these definitions presume a position on whether two graphs
>> with the same triples == each other. Perhaps "I is an RDF graph" says
>> to use "is" and not "==".
>>

> This is pretty much just like REST, and a bit unsurprising since we stuck
> RDF on the web, started to dereference it, put the results in a quad store
> where the IRI of resource we dereferenced was said to be the graph
> identifier and the triples extracted from the representation were put in the
> remaining 3 slots. Quads born, SPARQL, QuadStores, RDF Datasets, full circle
> and back to here and now.
>
>  RDFParse(HTTPGet(I)) == G
>
> doesn't entail that I is a Graph or that I == G, since:
>
> *- I is mapped to (or associated with) a set of values over time
> - a successful HTTPGet(I) returns a single value from the set (not the
> current value)
> - the values in the set are representations
> - each representation may have multiple properties and contain multiple
> things (RDF triples being just one of those things, like in RDFa documents)
> - RDFParse(HTTPGet(I)) == a g-snap.
>
> pretty much the most we can conclude, regardless of the interface (HTTP or
> otherwise), is that the g-snap (representing a set of triples) is associated
> with I.
>
> if we say any more than that, we're just creating use case specific stories
> to aid comprehension for people, but at the same time we're creating
> artificial limitations which will inevitably come back to bite us, or
> somebody, in the ass later.
>
> side: I put the * beside the first item so that you can see the REST and
> HTTP story falls apart when they try to speak of anything behind the
> interface, because instinct and context here makes you think that the values
> which I is associated with over time are rdf graphs / sets of triples; and
> the context in HTTP/REST makes you think it's associated with a set of
> representations over time, or some resource that has a mythical state. Any
> attempt to say what is behind the interface or what the relationship is just
> makes problems later when you zoom out and consider other concepts. So IMHO,
> just best to keep it as simple as possible.
>
>  if RDFParse(HTTPGet(<I>)) results in a g-snap Z, then:
>   g-snap Z is associated with <I>
>   <I> is dereferencable by HTTP
>   an HTTP GET on <I> at time X resulted in representation Y

No objections from me on this one.  To paraphrase, what you're saying is:
lots of IRIs, which identify resources other than graphs, are
dereferenceable on the web and will return a graph, or more precisely a
document from which a graph may be extracted.  The graph represents that
resource, but we can't say that the graph *is* the resource.

What follows is thinking out loud...

I suppose this is particularly relevant in the Linked Data community, where
I might dereference the IRI  <I> = <http://example.com/people#Alice> and
find a graph G = { <http://example.com/people#Alice> foaf:givenName "Alice";
foaf:knows :Bob; ... }  If we want to turn around and associate <I> with G
in a quad store or RDF dataset, we should be able to just do that without
implicating that the resource identified by <I> is that graph, or having to
allocate some new IRI to represent the notion of "the graph that describes
Alice".

That does raise a bunch of questions for me surrounding provenance (maybe
they've already been answered, I'm not familiar with research in that area),
like how to differentiate the description of <I> as a web document (was
retrieved on this date, etc.) from the description of <I> as an abstract
resource (the person Alice, in this case)?  Is it worthwhile inventing a
vocabulary to define the notion of "the graph that describes Alice"?  These
tend to lead down a path that I would describe as graph reification, and not
having done the appropriate research there I think I'll refrain from further
comment...

-Alex