A use case for graph literals: Schemapedia (ISSUE-5)

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:32:06 +0100
Cc: Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com>
To: RDF Working Group WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
I just had a conversation with Ian Davis on Twitter that yielded a use case for defining datatype IRIs for graph literals. I thought I'd share it as input into ISSUE-5 [1].

He uses Turtle snippets as literals in SchemaPedia [2]. SchemaPedia is a site that helps find RDF vocabularies, and it lists example usage snippets for the vocabularies. The site's back-end is RDF-based. Turtle literals are used to store the examples, as well as change events when examples are modified. See [3] for a typical change event.

Currently Ian uses plain literals, because no datatype was readily available.

The idea of abusing Ivan's format URIs from [4] came up.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/5
[2] http://schemapedia.com/
[3] http://api.talis.com/stores/openvocab/meta?about=http://open.vocab.org/changes/f07ca76699a536dd38b5cbbbe1ba181d&output=rdf
[4] http://www.w3.org/ns/formats/