Re: getting to Last Call on rdf:text

From: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:58:16 +0100
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>
CC: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Jie Bao <baojie@gmail.com>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, "public-rdf-text@w3.org" <public-rdf-text@w3.org>, "team-rif-chairs@w3.org" <team-rif-chairs@w3.org>, "team-owl-chairs@w3.org" <team-owl-chairs@w3.org>

Phillips, Addison wrote:
>>> Hi Jie,
>>> The issue wasn't so much the note, but the actual definition of
>> the functions
>>> fn:text-length
>>> fn:matches-language-range
>> I agree that these two particular functions should be dropped, but
>> for a
>> different reason: they are redundant.  Their functionality can be
>> achieved by extracting the relevant components from the rdf:text
>> literal
>> and then doing string comparison.
>
> I think it would be quite problematic to drop fn:matches-language-range. There is no other mechanism for correctly comparing language tags and ranges. It is not a simple string comparison.

You are right.  fn:matches-language-range is indeed not redundant

Best, Jos

--
+43 1 58801 18470        debruijn@inf.unibz.it

Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
Many would be cowards if they had courage
enough.
  - Thomas Fuller