Re: getting to Last Call on rdf:text

Thanks. I managed to made some changes to wiki in parallel.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the call tomorrow and the
rest of the week afterwards.  One goes inline.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is my take on the editor notes:
>

> Issue 1, re: an infinity of characters in Unicode, seems wrong
> according to the documentation of Unicode "All three encoding forms
> need at most 4 bytes (or 32-bits) of data for each character", but
> arguments for defining it that way are pragmatic. It would seem that
> this needs to be a technical decision about this, probably by vote if
> there is not consensus at this point.

I believe Boris is main supporter of  infinity of characters, and he
has explained the reason in a couple of discussions and emails. I have
removed the EdNote (before seeing your mail) as in the last telcon
there is no objection for its removal. If there will be a vote on this
tmr, my cast would be "0".

> Issue 2 asks for an example of pattern and langpattern.
>
> An example of pattern would be "(in)|(out)", which matches the
> character sequences "in" and "out" and nothing else. It is unclear to
> me whether the literal should be written as a plan literal or not, but
> I am guessing so.
>
> An example of a langpattern is "(en)|(en-.+)" - one could get more
> precise by following http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4647.txt but I'm
> not sure it's worth it.
>
> The reference for the pattern language is at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-regex

It helps, I will try to come up with an example

> Note: 3
> Editor's Note: In RDF, internationalized text also includes XML
> literals. For example
>  <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Some text</rdfs:label>
>
>  <rdfs:label rdf:parseType="Literal">
>  </rdfs:label>
> rdf:text does not provide a replacement to internationalized strings
> as XML literals. However, in some situations, it may be possible to
> allow the equivalence between rdf:text and XML literals. One may
> follow the example in RDF on optional equivalence treatment of
> xsd:string and rdf:XMLLiteral
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#section-XMLLiteral),
> and declare situations under which rdf:text and rdf:XMLLiteral can be
> considered equivalent."
>
> Given where we are, I suggest that this be resolved by deliberately
> making XML literals out of scope.

i have made a Note

Note: In addition to language tags, RDF applications may use
additional mechanisms for internationalized text, such the use of
"xml:lang" in literals of the type "rdf:XMLLiteral". rdf:text does not
provide a replacement to these mechanisms.

> Note 4 - "Editor's Note: Since the equivalence between
> "text"^^xs:string and "text" follows from RDF entailment rules xsd1a
> and xsd1b, the abbreviation of xs:string may be mentioned just as a
> note."
>
> I'd suggest taking no action on this.

I have made a note

Note: The abbreviation of "text"^^xs:string as "text" follows from RDF
entailment rules xsd1a and xsd1b [RDF Semantics].

This makes it clear that abbreviation does not result in syntactical
equivalency (so maintains the backward compatibility with RDF)

--
Jie Bao
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~baojie