Re: new version of rdf:O)-> document

Alan,

Thanks for the comments, see replies inline, I implemented most of them.

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> Some editorial comments:
>
> Table 1:
>
> ...all strings of the form "abc" and all pairs of the form ( "abc" ,
> "lc-langtag" )
> such that "abc" is contained in the subset of xs:string determined by (
> F v )
> as specified by XML Schema Datatypes [XML Schema Datatypes].
>
> ->
>
> ...all strings of the form "abc" and all pairs of the form ( "abc" ,
> "lc-langtag" )
> such that "abc" is contained in the subset of the value space
> of xs:string determined by ( F v )
> as specified by XML Schema Datatypes [XML Schema Datatypes].

done.

> --
>
> In descriptions of the value space of plan literals
> in http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/ language tagged values are written using
> "<" an ">" to group the tuple. In this document we use "(" and ")". I'd
> suggest using the "<" and ">" delimiters for consistency.

done. I kept '(' ')' for facet pairs, but changed to &lang; &rang; for
value pairs.

> --
>
> 5.1 Functions for Assembling and Disassembling rdf:PlainLiteral Data Values
>
> This function: rtfn:text-from-string( $arg1 as xs:string ) as
> rdf:PlainLiteral, seems unecessary - it is the identity operation if
> this is a function on values.

Indeed the first version is just the identity, I just kept it for
consistency, I guess, but it seems over time this became redundant.

Dropped it and now called the binary version
  plfn:PlainLiteral-from-string-lang
instead. (pending approval from RIF)

> --
>
> rtfn:text-from-string: "Note that, since the lexical forms of
> rdf:PlainLiteral" - it doesn't matter what the lexical forms are, it
> matters what the values are.

ok, changed to:

"Note that, since in the value space of <tt>rdf:PlainLiteral</tt>
language are in lowercase, this function converts <tt>$arg2</tt> to
lowercase."

> --
>
> "returns the string part s from the argument $arg, which must be an
> rdf:PlainLiteral data value of the form ( s, l ) or of the form s"
>
> ->
>
> "returns the string part s if $arg  is a rdf:PlainLiteral data value of
> the form ( s, l ) or of the form s"

done.

> This parallels the definition for rtfn:lang-from-text and removes the
> confusing "must be a" which might suggest that there are PlainLiterals
> with some other form than those given.
>
> --
>
> empty sequence as argument to functions:
>
> From http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-signatures:  Some
> functions accept a single value or the empty sequence as an argument and
> some may return a single value or the empty sequence. This is indicated
> in the function signature by following the parameter or return type name
> with a question mark: "?", indicating that either a single value or the
> empty sequence must appear.
>
> In rtfn:compare the comparands can be the empty sequence. However in the
> functional style definitions of the functions the comparands are passed
> to rtfn:lang-from-text and rtfn:string-from-text which can not take the
> empty sequence.

you are right, I fixed that, please check.

> --
>
> There are still an editor's note: These functions have not yet been
> renamed. The word "text" in the function names may change to
> "plain-literal", and the namespace may change from
> .../rdf-text-functions to .../plain-literal-functions
>
> What is the disposition here? Note that this would also effect the
> definition of "rtfn" above. Would "rtfn" change to "plfn"?

done.

> --
>
> We had discussed including a note explaining that while RDF cited RFC
> 3066 we interpreted that as really citing the latest version of the
> language tag spec, and since BCP 47 supersedes 3066, the possible values
> of language tags for both plain literal and rdf:PlainLiteral are the same.

Any suggestion where to put and how to word this?

> --
>
> Acknowledgments: I suggest adding wording noting the contribution of the
> SPARQL LC comment and members of the SPARQL WG.
>
> Editors: I suggest adding Peter and Sandro.

done.

> Contributors: I suggest adding Pat Hayes.

Pat and Andy are mentioned in the Acknowledgements. Do you meant to add
a separate "contributors" section? Maybe not a bad idea.

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, National University of Ireland,