Re: "do not occur"

Seaborne, Andy wrote:

 >> -----Original Message----- From: Alan Ruttenberg
 >> [mailto:alanruttenberg@gmail.com] Sent: 3 June 2009 15:52 To:
 >> Seaborne, Andy Cc: Axel Polleres; Peter F.Patel-Schneider;
 >> sandro@w3.org; public-rdf- text@w3.org Subject: Re: "do not occur"

 >> function

 >>> Quite - only if the new text is in force and then only if
 >>> suitable D-
 >> entailment is being applied or the data path goes through OWL2.
 >>
 >> Are you saying that DATATYPE *could* return rdf:PlainLiteral under
 >> these circumstances? By my analysis it couldn't, even then. -Alan
 >
 > So far as I can see, yes. It's just the "anyone can write it in RDF
 > now" point.
 >
 > As things stand today, the rdf:PlainLiteral doc does not apply - it's
 > not REC.
 >
 > DATATYPE("anything@"^^rdf:PlainLiteral) is rdf:PlainLiteral.
 >
 > IRI   DATATYPE (typed literal typedLit) IRI   DATATYPE (simple
 > literal simpleLit)
 >
 > It's a typed literal.  I have no idea what it means or whether it's
 > consistent WRT it's own entailments but that does not matter under
 > simple entailment.
 >
 > The fact that little if any data (except this mailing list) exists
 > means I see no problem with this nor do I worry about it.  I do worry
 > about (RDF) data that starts out as traditional plain literals but
 > may end up as typed literals by some means.  That will carry forward.

+1

My problem is that Option 1 [1] seems to signal that the sheer existence
of such data invalidates the spec. That is actually why I think Option 2
is sufficient/better, as it confines that effects just to anybody
who does care about rdf:PlainLiteral (and thus OWL2 and RIF who are
referring to it.

Axel

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-text/2009AprJun/0295.html

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, National University of Ireland,