Re: new version of rdf:O)-> document

> From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: new version of rdf:O)-> document
> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 08:34:05 -0500

> >> Isn't it?  I've lost the plot on what the intention is.  You tell me
> >> what the working group intends to be the answer here.
> >
> > I don't think we have an opinion, since it's an API issue.

> >> Sure, that's why I used "should". There is no standardization of APIs so
> >> each is free to interpret how the formal specs should be manifested to
> >> the actual users.
> >>
> >> That doesn't affect the fact that the conceptual model has changed and
> >> so APIs are likely to evolve to reflect this. This is hardly the end of
> >> the world. I just found it hard to accept the bald statement "does not
> >> change the conceptual model".
>
> But the conceptual model has *not* changed.  At all!
>
> >> The spec probably does the best that can be done to minimize the impact
> >> of the change on interoperability.
> >
> > How about changing:
> >
> >      This extension, however, does not change the conceptual model of
> >      RDF, and thus does not affect the specifications that depend on the
> >      conceptual model of RDF such as SPARQL
> >
> > to:
> >
> >      This extension adds an optional element to the conceptual model of
> >      RDF, but does not require any changes to software or affect the
> >      specifications that depend on the conceptual model of RDF such as
> >      SPARQL.
> >
> > ?
> >
> >       - Sandro
>
> I am against this change to the document.

As I'm imagining it, any time anyone defines a new datatype, they are
adding an element to the conceptual model of RDF.      How about:

      This is an extension for use with RDF that does not change the
      conceptual model of RDF itself, so the existances of this
      specification does not mandate any changes to software or affect
      the specifications that depend on the conceptual model of RDF such
      as SPARQL.

Maybe that's true enough for Peter, while avoiding Dave's surprise about
the claim of not changing the model?

    -- Sandro