Re: A summary of the proposal for resolving the issues with rdf:text --> Could you please check it one more time?

On May 20, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Boris Motik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Furthermore, the addition of rdf:text to the mix of the supported
>>> datatypes adds
>>> no new conceptual problems to SPARQL: the situation with rdf:text is
>>> no
>>> different than with, say, xsd:integer (there are other examples as
>>> well). For
>>> example, assume that you have an RDF graph
>>>
>>> G = { <a, b, "1"^xsd:integer> }
>>>
>>> but you ask the query
>>>
>>> Q = { <a, b, "1.0"^^xsd:decimal> }.
>>>
>>> Clearly, G D-entails Q,
>>
>> Actually, not, according to XML Schema, which insists that primitive
>> datatype value spaces are disjoint. so the integer 1 is distinct from
>> the decimal 1.0.  (I agree this can be counterintuitive, but for some
>> it is obviously correct.)
>>

> This is not true: xsd:integer is derived from xsd:decimal in XML
> Schema, so the
> value space of xsd:integer is a subset of the xsd:decimal. My
> example is
> correct.

Whoops, you are right. Sorry. Nevertheless, my main points still
stand. The key difference is that people are used to this issue (of
cross-domain identity) being one requiring care when dealing with
numerical formats, but not for pieces of plain text.

Pat