Re: Dave Reynolds: rdf:text - clarification requested

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> [moving Dave's e-mail to the joint list]
>
> (fwiw, I agree with Dave's comment/concern, as I suspect do we all.)
>
>      -- Sandro

> rdf:text - clarification requested
> From:
> Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:58:40 +0000
> To:
> RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
>
> To:
> RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
>

> Please could I get some clarification on the following line from the
> rdf:text document:
>
> """In addition to the RIF and OWL specifications, this datatype is
> expected to supersede RDF's plain literals with language tags, cf. [5],
> which is why this datatype has been added into the rdf: namespace. """
>
> I don't recall any discussion on this notion of "supersede". What
> exactly is being proposed here? I have been regarding rdf:text as a
> formalization of RDF plain literals with language tags which simplifies
> OWL2/RIF's job but is not a change to RDF.  Clearly any change to the
> RDF specs would have implications for tools developers, especially if
> there are any round-tripping requirements, and wouldn't be something to
> make likely. I don't think it appropriate to hint at such a change in
> the rdf:text document without more details.
>
> Apologies for not having noticed this line earlier.
>
> Dave

My personal opinion: I is not the intention to change/affect the
existinfg RDF specs, but the datatype is indeed intended to fix the
mismatch between plain literals and language tagged literals for
impementations which adopt it.

Any suggestion for a rewording that would rather convey this message?

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, National University of Ireland,