Re: REview of RDF:TEXT

Chris Welty wrote:

> Review of http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/InternationalizedStringSpec
> dated today.
>
> Was there a frozen version?
>
> This document is in good shape and is ready to be published.
>
> Important: The two characters use to delimit rdf:text values in the page
> don't render in my browser (firefox, windows).  I also checked explorer
> on my machine and they do not render there.
>
> E.g. "The facet space is a set of pairs of the form ? f v ?, where f is
> a URI called a constraining facet, and v is a value. Each such pair is
> mapped to a subset of the value space of the datatype. "
>
> Please pick a more common character.
>
> As compared to the previous rdf international strings, you have moved
> the @ inside the quotes.

quick reply on that one:
Note that we still allow the lang tag outside the quotes as an
abbreviation in the abbreviation section:

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/InternationalizedStringSpec#Abbreviations_of_rdf:text_and_xs:string_Literals

I understand you just mean this should be stated somewhere more
explicitly, yes?

> This may require a little bit of an
> explanation.  In fact, a list of differences with the existing version
> used in RDF & SPARQL would be useful.
>
> Section 3: Why aren't there parallel versions of the length functions
> for lang tags?

My personal opinion: because the length of lang-tags is not typically of
concern, I'd assume... if you need it, you probably can emulate it with
a regular expression using the pattern facet (depending on what regexp
syntax is allowed here, didn't check in detail) or, in the RIF/XQuery
built-ins version you could first extract the  lang tag and then use the
respective string built-ins.

As for the other issues, I refer to my co-editors.

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, National University of Ireland,