Re: TAP's use of SOAP: HTTP GET or PUT?

From: Rob McCool <robm@robm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:54:39 -0800
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: public-rdf-tap@w3.org, em@w3.org, connolly@w3.org, eric@w3.org

> > By default the TAP toolkit uses POST because we throw around a lot of
> > hierarchical queries which are difficult to express in a flat name=value
> > format like HTTP GET, but the servers support GET syntax, c.f.
> >
> > http://tap.stanford.edu/data/?type=tap:Actor&term=Tom+Hanks&prop=Identify
> >
> > http://panic.stanford.edu/browse?type=tap:Politician&term=Tony+Blair
>
> Thanks, that's good to know.
>
> Is the GET syntax documented anywhere?

Not that I know of. It's relatively simple: the names of each ?name=value
pair are properties, the value is the desired value of that property in the
request description. In the first case, the properties you want the values
for are specified by name=value pairs where the name is "prop".

Abbreviations are allowed, or full URLs. tap:Actor is equivalent to
http://tap.stanford.edu/data/Actor and there are default namespaces also,
such as "rdf:type" and "rdfs:label".