Re: TAP's use of SOAP: HTTP GET or PUT?

From: Rob McCool <robm@robm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:35:54 -0800
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: public-rdf-tap@w3.org, em@w3.org, connolly@w3.org, eric@w3.org

> Does TAP's use of SOAP for query make use of the (cachable, URI-linkable
> etc) HTTP GET method, or is it over HTTP POST?
>
> http://tap.stanford.edu/tap/getdatadetails.html left me unsure.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#soapinhttp documents SOAP 1.2's HTTP
> binding, and http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#WebMethodFeature
> the oddly named 'SOAP Web Method Feature', which as I understand it is
> SOAP's way of allowing SOAP services with GET-like semantics to use
> HTTP's GET method.
>
> Maybe I should be asking two questions: TAP's GetData in the abstract,
> vs the Stanford implementation of it...?

By default the TAP toolkit uses POST because we throw around a lot of
hierarchical queries which are difficult to express in a flat name=value
format like HTTP GET, but the servers support GET syntax, c.f.

http://tap.stanford.edu/data/?type=tap:Actor&term=Tom+Hanks&prop=Identify

http://panic.stanford.edu/browse?type=tap:Politician&term=Tony+Blair