Re: formal objection to early cutoff of test submissions

> This is a formal objection to the early cutoff of submissions to the working
> group's test suite.
>
> The candidate recommendation period in the W3C process is designed so that
> implementers can test out a potential W3C recommendation to see whether
> conforming implementations can be created.  Testing to confirm
> implementation behaviour is thus an important part of the candidate
> recommendation process.  Cutting off the submission of tests well before the
> end of the candidate recommendation period hinders wide review of the
> candidate recommendation and goes against the purpose of the W3C process.
>

> Two tests were submitted that examine the behaviour of SHACL implementations
> on property paths that contain information about two different kinds of
> SPARQL paths.  These tests came from recent implementation experience.  The
> aspect of SHACL that they test is not covered by any of the tests in the
> current working group's test suite so without them there is no confirmation
> that there are two independent implementations of SHACL property paths.
> These tests were not accepted.

Since you seem to find this so very important I have now added these two
test cases to the suite. I still don't agree they are important, but I
don't think this is worth spending any more time on. I have notified the
other implementers about the new test(s) and hope they can re-run their
tests.

> Two tests were submitted that examine the behaviour of SHACL implementations
> of pre-binding.  Pre-binding underlies all of SHACL-SPARQL so it is vitally
> important for SHACL-SPARQL both that pre-binding have a suitable definition
> and that implementations correctly implement pre-binding.  The working group
> approved changes to the definition of pre-binding on 26 April 2017 and the
> tests were submitted on 28 April 2017.  These tests replaced previous tests
> to examine the behaviour of SHACL implementations of pre-binding that had
> become irrelevant because of the change to pre-binding.  These tests were
> not accepted.

I have just made the use of VALUES in general ill-formed in
SHACL-SPARQL, making your submitted test cases outdated. I had never
rejected them, see my other email in this thread.

So both of the examples that you have used to motivate your formal
objection are now handled.

Holger