Re: A view from outside

Hi Lars,

I believe it is important to separate the discussion about syntax from
the underlying semantics or "model". Yes, your specific example can be
nicely represented in a very compact textual form. But your example only
talks about cardinality, and there is obviously much more that people
want to specify when they publish data models. For example you may want
to say that the values of foo:email are syntactically well-formed email
addresses. Simple languages quickly reach limits and then need to be
overloaded with all kinds of escape mechanisms. RDF is designed to be
extensible - anyone can add their own classes and properties to
represent any kind of extra information. Therefore a model that talks
about other data models should also be represented in RDF, and that's
where Shapes come into the picture. For certain common shapes (such as
cardinality) a short-hand syntax could be added, but still the
underlying semantics need to be more flexible.

HTH
Holger