Re: using Shape Expressions to validate RDF graphs

On 07/11/2014 03:33 PM, Jose Emilio Labra Gayo wrote:

>         With regards to the spouse/person, I think what you want to describe
>         can be
>         done as:
>
>         <PersonShape> { :a (:Person), :spouse @<SpouseShape>? }
>         <SpouseShape> { :a (:Person), ^:spouse @<PersonShape> }
>
>         The last declaration contains a reverse arc, which means that a
>         SpouseShape is
>         the object of an arc :spouse with shape PersonShape.
>

>     I still don't see how this tells me whether all the nodes that have an
>     rdf:type link to :Person have all their spouses have rdf:type links to
>     :Person.
>

> What it tells you is that if you select a node in the graph and you want to
> check if it has the Shape of a Person, you can have a system (a Shape
> Expression validator) that will check if it has the properties rdf:type with
> value :Person and :spouse with a value that also has rdf:type :Person.
>
> I mean...the Shape Expression validator is just looking at the shape of the
> RDF graph...that's why it is working in a more syntactic level than RDFS, OWL,
> etc...and that's why I think both are complementary technologies.
>
> Best regards, Jose Labra

So, as a consumer of an RDF graph, I have to repeatedly ask whether the node
that I am currently looking at meets a particular validity condition?  Why
shouldn't I be able to ask some overall validity conditions, conditioned on
the sorts of nodes that I expect to be working on?

peter