Re: Moving forward

Hi Arnaud,

thank you for stepping in so that the process can take the next hurdle.

I would like to propose changes to the deliverable section that try to
address some issues raised by others. I believe the first deliverable
needs to be split into two. Currently it reads

1) An RDF vocabulary, such as Resource Shapes 2.0, for expressing these
shapes in RDF triples, so they can be stored, queried, analyzed, and
manipulated with normal RDF tools.

This doesn't get the meta-levels right, because the Shapes need to be
based on *something*. Furthermore it is unclear how the extensibility
(fall-back to SPARQL) is reflected here. And mentioning Resource Shapes
as the only named technology is clearly not "fair".

I suggest to change this to

1) An RDF vocabulary and semantics (i.e. instructions on how to evaluate
the vocabulary) to represent constraints, and resulting constraint
violations, for RDF graphs and ontologies. This vocabulary must include
a mechanism to represent higher level vocabularies that can be stored,
queried, analyzed and manipulated with normal RDF tools. Candidate
starting points are OWL, ShEx and SPIN.

2) An RDF vocabulary implementing a library of high level constraints
for the most common use cases (as identified by the requirements).
Candidate starting points are OWL, Resource Shapes, ShEx and various
SPIN template libraries.

The "Candidate starting point" sentences could be dropped.

The first deliverable is basically the meta-language for the shapes and
defines the mechanisms in which Shapes are exchanged and evaluated. My
OSLC Shapes implementation in SPIN shows one way of solving this
stacking. We need to keep in mind that whatever specific Shapes are
identified now will not be the final answer, so an extension mechanism
is crucial. At the same time, the 2) deliverable can be used stand-alone
by people who are not familiar with advanced topics such as SPARQL, so
it should also be a separate deliverable. Deliverable 1) does not depend
on 2), so it should be kept separate.

Holger