Re: Validation and cool URIs

On 8/6/14, 11:00 PM, Arthur Ryman wrote:
> The above use cases are orthogonal to use cases where an RDF class defines
> constraints that must be universally obeyed, independent of the context,
> i.e. a bicycle must have two wheels.
Yes, that's what I thought. We have seen many more examples of the
latter than the former, and I believe the structure of existing ontology
languages suggests that it should be possible to "attach" constraints to
classes. I personally believe your use case is the exception, not the
rule, but of course I would like to see a generic solution that covers
all use cases so that the standardization process succeeds.

I believe the most pragmatic way forward will be to generalize SPIN so
that constraint definitions can be hosted by a "Shape" object, and that
no rdf:type triple is required to trigger evaluation. I am confident
that we can come up with a reasonable design for that use case, and the
syntax will probably be almost identical. I am however still hoping to
get away with the minimum necessary language for the job, and keep it
simple and intuitive. But we can defer this to the WG.