Re: Moving forward

Hi Peter,

There is only so much that can be conveyed in a list of deliverables that
is meant to be concise. The list doesn't stand on its own though. The
previous sections of the charter give additional information about what is
meant in that list. For instance, I think the following list of issues to
be addressed in section 1 makes it clear that the first deliverable isn't
just about defining a vocabulary without defining what shapes are, how
they are to be used, and what they mean.

Defining and publishing a description of the intended topology and value
constraints of a nodes in a RDF graph, henceforth a "shape".
Verification of data integrity with respect to a shape.
Human and machine interpretation of shapes to develop or optimize SPARQL
queries and develop user interfaces.

There has already been plenty of discussion on this list and unfortunately
not much convergence. The only pratical way forward I see is for everyone
to focus on the exact wording of the charter and to propose specific
changes. Just like we would do when developing a spec. That's what I told
Arthur a few days ago, and he did. His proposal was rejected but I think
that's the only concrete way to make progress. General statements of
opinion aren't very helpful.

Of course, we all come from different backgrounds and we still need to
check that we read the charter the same way but we should try and not let
that distract us from the goal at hand: editing the charter so that it's
acceptable for all.

Regards.

--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Standards - IBM
Software Group

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote on 08/06/2014
10:09:04 AM:

> From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS, public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
> Date: 08/06/2014 10:09 AM
> Subject: Re: Moving forward
>
> I can't support the current deliverables, at least as I understand them.
>
> The first deliverable indicates that the working group is supposed to be

> producing an RDF vocabulary for shapes without defining what shapes
> are or how
> they are to be used.  Either that or the first deliverable is simply an
RDF