From: Arnaud Le Hors [mailto:lehors@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 12:32 PM
To: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
Subject: Moving forward

Hi all,

As chair-to-be of the proposed WG I've been working with the W3C Team on
trying to find a way forward that would be acceptable by all.

The normative change proposed to the charter [draft charter] which was to
start with use cases and requirements instead of assuming Resource Shapes as
a starting point was made weeks ago. The Team has actually made the charter
technology neutral with regard to all of the various candidates out there
and has now made the compact human-readable syntax an optional deliverable
and added a reference to Dublin Core Application Profiles. I haven't seen
any other proposal that seems to have general support.

[draft charter]  <http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/charter>
http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/charter

So at this point, I think we're better off going with the proposed charter,
launch the WG, and direct our efforts towards writing up the use cases,
requirements, and exploring what the best solution might be objectively.

There is definitely a risk that the WG will struggle to find a direction
with such an open ended charter but at the same time I think it will be more
productive to have a discussion within the framework of a WG than the way
it's happening now on this mailing list.

I can say that I've worked with Arthur Ryman so that IBM would support this
even though this isn't what he wanted (FYI Arthur and I are from different
groups within IBM). Standards are made of compromises, so I hope you will
all do the same.

I look forward to working with you all.
Thank you.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Standards - IBM
Software Group