Re: Validation and cool URIs

Hi Bernard,

I very much second your view point. If we want to be based on RDF, then
we should honor its basic principles. One of those principles is that of
self-describing data, where applications can look up the definition of a
resource by resolving URIs. For example, if a resource declares an
rdf:type, then an application should be able to look up the definition
of the class, including its semantic declarations and constraints. This
should be the default assumption: someone creates an ontology and when
he publishes it on the web then anyone who wants to reuse that ontology
should honor the same constraints.

Having said this, applications may overload the default behavior. In
TopBraid we do this by first looking at local files for the same URI,
and preferring those over the files from the web. This also makes it
possible to refer to graphs that do not even exist on the web.

What I haven't understood yet is how those principles are supposed to
work in the original two Shapes submissions, where resources do not even
have to have an rdf:type - how is this going to be self-describing data?
What is the entry point into the validation?

Thanks,
Holger