Re: Proposed change to the charter, section 4. Deliverables, Recommendation Track

On 8/1/14, 12:44 PM, Arthur Ryman wrote:
> 1.      Compact, human readable syntax for expressing constraints on RDF
> graph patterns (aka shapes), suitable for the use cases determined by the
> group.

Admittedly, "human readable" is nearly indefinable - we all know one or
more humans who "reads" their favorite programming language as readily
as natural language, and most of us read only a few of the "human
readable" languages on the planet.

"A high-level RDF vocabulary" is also vague, however. What's "high
enough"? or "too low"?

The question then becomes: who/what is the target audience? What is the
expected interaction between data creators, data designers, and software
developers with the output of the group's effort? It might be best to
state the charge in terms of functions or activities rather than a list
of outcomes.

One way to find the functional level of the work of this group would be
to create a stack, from RDF to the user interface of the data creator or
consumer, define key aspects of each point in the stack, and then state
where in the stack this group's work is targeted. I would like to see
human actors and roles included in the stack, to the extent possible,
along with aspects of data creation workflow.

[A diagram of this type, but not precisely as described here, is the
DCMI Singapore Framework:
http://dublincore.org/documents/singapore-framework/ ]

A definition of this type would help to coordinate this effort with the
work being done in the Dublin Core community. It could aid us in
avoiding overlapping efforts, and allow the DC group to understand what
it can contribute that particularly aids the Dublin Core community.

kc
--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net