Re: RDF.ex

I’m not sure either, if this is the right place for such a discussion and would like to mention on this occasion the Google Group for RDF.ex, which I forgot in my announcement: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/rdfex

Having visited some Elixir conferences, my impression is that it’s not just a vocal minority. The Elixir conferences and their numbers of participants are growing rapidly and a very large percentage of the participants are Rubyists. I am myself a Rubyist and couldn’t imagine becoming equally enthusiastic about another language. And now, after almost a year of Elixir, I have to admit that I’m getting slightly disappointed, when I have to do Ruby instead of Elixir for my day job.

Regarding your question, I'm actually not very qualified to answer that, but I don't see how Ruby could catch up with Python's huge development leap in these fields. The languages are too similar, that there's no real technical benefit Ruby could bring to the table over Python.

Although some people say Erlang/Elixir are not very suitable for the required number crunching, many oppose that claim and I (being obviously quite biased) have more hope for Elixir to get more traction in these fields, with Erlangs performance characteristics and the usability of a language like Ruby. With the recently released Flow (<https://github.com/elixir-lang/flow>) and GenStage (<https://github.com/elixir-lang/gen_stage>) libraries, Elixir now offers something similar to Apache Spark and Hadoop nearly on the language level (currently for single nodes only), which would make it IMO a perfect fit for many of this issues. At least I am sure this will benefit in the further development of RDF.ex, e.g. in a query processor (to be done).

But in the end its probably not a technical question, but one of the language adoption in certain communities.

Best,
Marcel