Re: Question about doing RDF analysis in Ruby

On Jan 31, 2011, at 23:15  - 31/01/11, Greg Lappen wrote:

> I thought of a couple more questions while I was out and about:
>
> 1)  It's fairly common to design applications with an RDBMS (and now document-based and key-value) data stores, and then serving that data in various formats (html, xml, json, csv, etc.).  Obviously RDF could just be another of these formats.  Or you could use RDF as your primary data model (and data store).  Are there some guidelines or "rules of thumb" that are out there to help decide which path to take?
>
> 2)  Everywhere I read about the semantic web and RDF, it talks about how you can combine different data sets and derive new data (inferences) - has anyone had experience with building systems that can answer questions that users come up with at runtime (using SPARQL queries?), or is this mostly done by writing programs?
>
> Just looking for some general info as there's a lot of academic articles out there, and a lot of books, and I want to know what I should be trying to learn.

You may want to take a look at Explorator (http://www.tecweb.inf.puc-rio.br/explorator), which is an environment for exploring (searching, querying and operating on) RDF repositories accessed through SPARQL endpoints. The interesting thing is that the end user is not required to write any queries (directly).
It is built on top of RoR and ActiveRDF (modified), using a local Sesame store for internal data.
You can try the sandbox, or download it and run it locally.

Best,
Daniel
---

Daniel Schwabe                      Dept. de Informatica, PUC-Rio
Tel:+55-21-3527 1500 r. 4356        R. M. de S. Vicente, 225<br>
Fax: +55-21-3527 1530               Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22453-900, Brasil
http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~dschwabe