Re: RDF/XML and Turtle support for RDF.rb

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Damian Steer <d.steer@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2010, at 10:56, Arto Bendiken wrote:
>
>> I have now released RDF::Raptor 0.1.0, a plugin for RDF.rb that adds
>> support for parsing/serializing RDF/XML and Turtle data using the
>> Raptor RDF Parser library:
>>
>>  http://rdf.rubyforge.org/raptor/
>>
>> Note that this is emphatically *not* a C binding to the Raptor or
>> Redland libraries, but rather a pure-Ruby wrapper for the 'rapper'
>> command-line utility included with Raptor (http://librdf.org/raptor/).
>> This means a hassle-free installation of the gem itself, with no
>> worrying about library or include file paths or settings, and means
>> that the plugin should also work fine as-is with e.g. JRuby.
>
> (Switching jruby hat for rdf hat here)
>
> If you, or anyone else, does want to plug in to raptor directly please use ffi. That works in ruby, jruby and rubinius.
>
> End of public service announcement.

True. Then again, it's also something like two orders of magnitude
more code than `IO.popen`:

    @command = "#{RAPPER} -q -i #{format} -o ntriples #{input}"
    @rapper  = IO.popen(@command, 'rb')
    @reader  = RDF::NTriples::Reader.new(@rapper, options, &block)

...and considerably more fragile unless done carefully. If you
volunteer to write the FFI version, I'll certainly include it as an
option.

--
Arto Bendiken | http://twitter.com/bendiken