Re: Using named graphs to model PROV's Accounts

On Oct 11, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 20:32 +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>
>> On 11/10/11 19:11, Timothy Lebo wrote:
>>> rdf-prov,
>>>
>>> In preparation for the RDF WG F2F this week, I wanted to provide some discussion on using named graphs to address some provenance modeling.
>>>
>>> I have updated http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Using_named_graphs_to_model_Accounts to reflect some feedback and extend the discussion on named graphs.
>>>
>>> In particular, I discuss:
>>>
>>> * reuse of the SPARQL Service Description vocabulary to describe named graphs.
>>> * Meta Named Graph pairs,
>>> * a simple application of these to create Cache Graphs
>>> * the importance of modeling the "location" of a graph to disambiguate many graphs with the same name.
>>>
>>> These components are needed to model PROV's notion of Accounts, which permit different agents to assert different views of the same "event" (i.e., ProcessExecution). I hope to wrap up all of this into a final proposal by the end of the week.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions or comments appreciated.
>>

>> As a principle (of AWWW), one name can only refer to one thing.
>>
>> "graph" here seems to refer to graph-a-location but also "graph the
>> contents of the location".  But those are different things.
>

> I might be confused, but it looks to me like Tim is making the best of a
> bad situation:

Here, the "bad situation" is that "lazy namers" have reused the same sd:name for multiple g-boxes, violating the AWWW principle that Andy cited.

Is the answer as simple as, "stop being lazy!"?
Which means nobody can have a g-box in their SPARQL endpoint named <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card> , since that's something somewhere else.

> he's trying to use the "name" in a name-graph pair to
> identify a graph/gbox, but he's recognizing that [ because we haven't
> adopted my Web Semantics for Datasets proposal :-) ] the scope of that
> binding is only a single dataset.

In my writeup, I used the term "location", not "dataset".
But yes, I'm using the "location" of the g-box to provide the contextualizing scope required to name the g-box -- since it's sd:name is inadequate.

>  He's calling the dataset identifier
> the "location".     At least that's how I'm reading it.

Exactly. Is "dataset" defined somewhere in RDF-WG, or are does the group reuse the SPARQL definition?

Regards,
Tim Lebo