Re: Use case for g-snaps

From: Kai Eckert <kai@informatik.uni-mannheim.de>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:45:29 +0200
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
CC: public-rdf-prov@w3.org
Sandro,

Am 03.10.2011 17:28, schrieb Sandro Hawke:
> I think I agree with everything you say, but I don't see why this leads
> us to need something more than constant g-boxes (instead of g-snaps), or
> why this would be only a "best practice" instead of the same level of
> standard as other things in RDF.     If I give you the URI of a g-box
> and state that its content never changes, then how is that different (in
> capability) from me giving you the URI of a graph?    As far as I can
> tell, it's much better because you can potentially dereference the URI.
>
>    -- Sandro

I think, we simply agree. I see no difference between a constant g-box
(however that is represented, e.g. by stating that it is constant) and a
URI of a g-snap (you said graph, I assume g-snap) from a user's POV. The
question is, if such a mechanism (identifiable, dereferencable
g-snap/constant g-box) is inside the scope of the RDF WG. If it is not,
is there a WG that fits? My only concern is that we leave this question
to the implementors, maybe by refering to some best-practice. This makes
it harder to define robust provenance models for RDF data and probably
leads to incompatible solutions.

Cheers,

Kai

--