Re: complete graphs

On Oct 1, 2011, at 5:57 AM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2011, at 13:58, Ian Davis wrote:
>>> Personally I feel that this architectural decision will be what stops us from ending up in a world of quint-stores, sextuple-stores, and so on. A +1 to Sandro's description of the 4th column being a web address of a place currently serving the given triple.
>>
>> +1 to the sentiment of avoiding the stacking problem. I'm not sure that this proposal does that though.
>
> I think it does avoid the stacking problem.
>
>> How do I refer to the quads that state that a triple was published at a web address yesterday?
>
> Why would you use quads for that? You use triples. You put the triples into a named graph. The name of that graph can be used to refer to the assertion.

To the assertion, or to the graph which is asserted? I dont think we have names for assertions. An assertion is a speech act, not a graph.

> For example, :G1 below is a name for the graph containing triples that state that {:s1 :p1 :o1.} was published yesterday at <http://example.com/>.
>
> :G1 {
>  [] a :Publishing;
>     :date "2011-09-30"^^xsd:date;
>     :webAddress <http://example.com/>;
>     :triples :G2.
> }
> :G2 {
>  :s1 :p1 :o1.
> }

That works (provided we specify what things like :webAddress mean, of course.) if the :G2 really is a name for the graph, ie if it denotes that graph. If it is only a "label" (or only a pseudo-name, ie not really denoting) then this does not work, because the use of G2 in the triple in G1 has to follow the RDF semantic rules, and it might not refer to the graph in that case.

Pat