Re: swap-scala's RDFa parser deployed on google app engine

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 09:15:03 +0000
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Dan Connolly wrote:
> [...]
> I consider the XMLLiteral problems limitations of the test
> harness; I suggest more subtle SPARQL queries. I don't recommend
> a strict canonical-xml requirement on RDFa parsers; I hope
> we can find some equivalence test from XQuery that will serve
> better.

The exclusive Canonical XML requirement is a feature of RDF, not RDFa.
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#dfn-rdf-XMLLiteral says:

   "The lexical space is the set of all strings [...] for which encoding
as UTF-8 [RFC 2279] yields exclusive Canonical XML (with comments, with
empty InclusiveNamespaces PrefixList) [XML-XC14N]"

so if an RDF producer (e.g. an RDFa parser) produces an RDF triple whose
object is a typed literal with datatype rdf:XMLLiteral and with a
lexical form that is *not* in exclusive canonical form, then it is not
conforming RDF, and I would expect a test suite for an RDF-based
technology to flag it as an error. Until/unless RDF changes the
definition of rdf:XMLLiteral, I don't believe RDFa has any choice in this.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk