Re: Request to publish HTML+RDFa (draft 3) as FPWD

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:17:17 +0300
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
On Sep 22, 2009, at 12:38, Mark Birbeck wrote:

> Design principles are hardly "principles" if they can be changed on a
> whim. What you are now saying is 'pave the cowpaths that lots of cows
> in the grand scheme of things have been using'.
> But the cowpath metaphor is supposed to invoke the idea of something
> that people are already doing. There can be little ambiguity there --
> people are either already doing something, or they aren't. You either
> have a cowpath or you don't -- not one that suits your goals.

A few cows don't yet make a path. In any case, as Leif pointed out,
the design principle says "consider adopting". RDFa was considered and
rejected due to design problems.

> The BBC is publishing RDFa in the form of program reviews.
> UK government websites are publishing job vacancies and
> consultations with RDFa.

Who consumes this data? (My point being: If a cow falls in the forest
but no one is there to observe it, does it make a path?)

> Google is recommending the use of RDFa to add license information to
> images and videos.

I think this should be considered in the context of

Paving this path seems to call for a processing model that ignores

> Drupal 7 includes RDFa support.

What does that mean? Does Drupal output RDFa? If so, who consumes it?
Does it ingest RDFa? If so, from where?

Henri Sivonen